Facilities & Directions
The Duke Wells Center has been the home of Henderson State athletics since 1971. Named after legendary Henderson State Coach Duke Wells, the Wells Center has undergone many renovations in its 41-year history. Recent changes included new locker room facilities, a fitness room, restroom facilities, ticket offices and concession stands.
Serving as the home for the men’s and women’s basketball teams and the Lady Reddie volleyball team, the Wells Center also houses the Henderson State athletic offices.Both the men’s and women’s locker rooms received recent facelifts which have included new lockers, carpet and flooring, and furniture.
With Henderson State joining the Great American Conference, changes were also made to the Duke Wells Center. The floor was resurfaced and new conference logos were painted on the floor.
In 2010 a new scoreboard was also installed. The men’s basketball locker room also received a facelift, with newly stained lockers, a new floor, and drywall installed over the brick walls.
Classrooms are located on the second floor, and Henderson State’s other athletic facilities are located nearby. Carpenter-Haygood Stadium, home of the Reddie football team, is directly behind the Wells Center. To the west of the Wells Center is the Bettye Wallace Tennis Center and Clyde Berry Field, home of Reddie baseball.To the east of the Wells Center are the intramural fields, used for sports such as softball and flag football, as well as the Delores Brumfield White softball facility and the Formby Athletic Center.
The intramural fields are also used by the Henderson State soccer club and the Showband of Arkansas. Duke Wells participated in football, basketball and baseball at Henderson State from 1932-34. He was an All-State selection from 1932-34.
Duke served as Henderson State’s head basketball coach from 1941-49, head football coach from 1941-61, and coached teams to two AIC Championships (1950 and 1959). Duke served as Henderson State’s athletics director from 1962-79. He was inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame in 1971 and the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in 1970.